logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apachelite and Apache Page 1, 2  Next
Author
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep '09 18:41    Post subject: Apachelite and Apache Reply with quote

First, I was using Apachelite and copied good code from the W3 school for the purpose of emailing from my PHP server side script to myself. Everything was going great, getting echos etc. But I never got the emails. No error messages or anything. I fear that some guy in Mongolia got my email that said, "Hello World".

So, as a fix, I decided to download the full Apache server and install it on my computer. At some point it asked me what my domain and server names were. Why would a home user have a domain and server name? So I put in a bogus server and domain name. And, surprise, surprise, it didn't work.

Please help me.

Roger
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep '09 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please look in the apache error.log and windows event viewer to see what is wrong.

Steffen
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep '09 21:37    Post subject: error.lob Reply with quote

Dear Steffen and anyone else who wants to read this post, Very Happy

Here is what I got in error.log:

sendmail.exe: cannot connect to localhost, port 25: Unknown error
sendmail.exe: could not send mail (account default from C:\xampplite\sendmail\sendmail.ini)

The plot thickens.

Thank you for your help.

Roger
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep '09 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure that this is in the error.log from Apache ?

When you have no other errors in the error.log, then Apache is running fine.

Sendmail is not a part of Apache.

The error says that port 25 is not found at localhost, so there is not a mail server running on your box. When you not running your own mailserver you can mostly use the one from your ISP, somewhere in the sendmail config you have to define the SMTP server of you ISP.

Do not know who is calling sendmail here, Apache does not. Assume the PHP script you are running.

Steffen
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Wed 30 Sep '09 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen,

I am sure that that error.log is in xampplite.

If you could help me use Apache rather than Apachelite, I would much prefer that.

When I tried to install Apache, it asked me for the domain name and the server name. I had no idea what it was talking about. I am running this Apache on my own machine and will be using it to build websites (with PHP server pages). Why do I need a name for my domain and server. The whole purpose for using Apache was so that I did not want to use any money.

Roger
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

use localhost or 127.0.0.1 for those then
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 18:13    Post subject: So, here is the deal, currently Reply with quote

I was able to install the latest Apache using localhost as domain and server name. I am able to run my program with it.

But, when I try to run the PHP link, my Firefox shows the source code, not the browser processed page.
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find this line most of the way down the httpd.conf file and remove the # from the begining of it and restart Apache

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

if it does not exist at all just add it
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 21:52    Post subject: I added that line, but... Reply with quote

I added that line, and do appreciate your help. I could never do this without help.

Now it tries to download email.php into my local host. And then I get these 5 error messages:

"php-win.exe - Unable To Locate Component

"This application has failed to start because XXXXX was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

XXXXX is to be replaced by any of these: aspell-15.dll, libcs.dll, LIBPQ.dll, ntwdblib.dll, OCI.dll
Not in that order.
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

php-win.exe? That one is not for runing on the server. How did you setup php? Did you try to use fcgid?
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have no clue on that error. This is also XAMP and I have no experience with their doodads and such. In Apache however one would normally load the mod_php module which for Apache 2.2 would be php5apache2_2.dll

LoadModule php5_module /path/to/php5apache2_2.dll

if PHP is at C:\php then that is where you'll find this dll

you may want to have a look at this
http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=2394
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

"php-win.exe? That one is not for running on the server. How did you setup php? Did you try to use fcgid?"

I am not sure I understand. I downloaded the PHP stuff. I don't think that I set it up. Am I supposed to run or install PHP or something?

Roger
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 01 Oct '09 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use mod_fcgid cause I do not have a lot of php on my server .. I'm a perl geek.

I have a benchmark script that takes 9-11 seconds to complete under fcgid .. 3 with php5apache2_2.dll .. since I do not have thousands of hits a day on php so fcgid is unneeded for me .. and as far as running Apache locally .. unneeded for you as well.

See the link I posted last. That is instructions for setting up everything .. PHP Setup is included
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Mon 05 Oct '09 18:51    Post subject: obtaining PHP Reply with quote

I have been following the directions at http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=2394. But when I download PHP from http://www.php.net/downloads.php it dumps the files into my Temp directory and does not install it or anything. Should I use the .msi file or what? I am apprehensive about using the .msi download.

When I download

PHP 5.2.11 zip package [10,270Kb] - 17 September 2009
md5: adac50ae1449b76f10ff1865bb4f94f1

like you said, and my unzip program puts it in Temp, without registering it or anything. The files just sit in Temp. I don't know what to do about that.

Perhaps I need to be asking these questions with the PHP people. I thought that Apache was a PHP partner or something like that.

Roger
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct '09 0:47    Post subject: Re: obtaining PHP Reply with quote

Roger Bird wrote:
I thought that Apache was a PHP partner or something like that.

No at all.

I can tell my zip program where to extract them to, which would be c:\php
You can move them from Temp to c:\php
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct '09 0:52    Post subject: Thank you. Reply with quote

Sometimes I feel like my question are so stupid or inappropriate (like in the wrong forum) that they won't be answered and I'll just be sitting here waiting like that guy in Mongolia waiting for his email. Very Happy

If I just move the PHP files from Temp to c:\php, how does it get registered etc.?

Perhaps I need a new zip program because mine, obviously, just unzips it to Temp.

Perhaps there is an install program that will allow me to decide where to put the program and register it, etc.
glsmith

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct '09 0:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

register what? .. there's no ActiveX dlls so there is nothing to register.

sure maybe add .php to classes to allow a double click of a php file to run, but it's not that usefull afaic
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Tue 06 Oct '09 23:03    Post subject: I'm Worried Reply with quote

I got this far in the instructions:

-------------------------------------------
Example:

Variable name: Path
Variable value: C:\php5;%SystemRoot%\system32;.....

Note: DO NOT WORRY
--------------------------------------------

Can a environment variable have more than one value? In my system, Path already has a value. And what does the ";%SystemRoot%\sytem32;....." mean?

I am particularly worried about the "....." part.

Roger
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct '09 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

%SystemRoot% = c:\windows

you can put as much in there as you want (up to a certain amount of characters which I forget what that number is), everything must be separated with a semi-colon.

Path=C:\php;%SystemRoot\system32;etc;etc
Roger Bird

PostPosted: Wed 07 Oct '09 20:51    Post subject: Just checking Reply with quote

So, mine now looks like this:

C:\PHP5;%SystemRoot%\system32;blah;blah;blah;

Is this OK?

Roger

Reply to topic   Topic: Apachelite and Apache View previous topic :: View next topic