logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Configuring issues.... Newbie and getting old-n-slow
Author
nob4uask

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug '10 13:16    Post subject: Configuring issues.... Newbie and getting old-n-slow Reply with quote

Morn all, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basically, I am looking to host a simple website for myself and some friends stateside to use.

I have created some websites, am computer literate with programming back ground a long time ago. Don't ask...lol But just getting up there in age and seem to not get things quite as quick.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of apache not all the extras, just apache version 2.2.1.16 I believe. I configured it manually through the httpd.conf file and tested it on my pc which worked fine. I started creating my website and that also worked fine. The problem is I can't access it from the outside world.

I have spent 2 days typing everywhich way I could to describe it, searched the forums to no avale. If anyone can help me out and start pointing me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

I have found info about changing the hosts and thought this might do it (They only file I could find was hosts.bak).

I thought maybe I need to configure a virtualhost but not sure where to put all that in the httpd file.

I really miss the days of a good old book that had about everything that you need to know in it.

Thank you for your time.
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug '10 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it all works on the machine itself then can you reach it via LAN IP from another machine on the LAN. No? Check Windows firewall and open port 80 (HTTP).

Once you can get to it from another machine you need to forward port 80 on your router to the proper LAN IP of the machine. At this point you should be able to reach it from anywhere in the world via your WAN IP.
nob4uask

PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug '10 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx glsmith, appreciate the help.

I opened port 80 in Mcaffee like you said, the rest wasn't applicable. I had a buddy try to access the website, but they couldn't. I will be heading over to the in-laws to give it a try. With the below info, maybe there is something else.

I am running XP Pro and my PC isn't networked.

I am connected to the net by a Motorola SB5101 SURFboard Cable Modem.

My windows firewall is disabled because I use Mcaffee.

I have made sure that apache service is started.

Once again, thank you and your patience is commended.
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug '10 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on cabel (obviously) you may have to move Apache to a different port. Many cable co's block port 80 to keep customers from running a server.

It's the dumbest thing since you could still have a fileshare app really eating bandwidth.

You may want to try another port and have your buddy try and connect again. I will not specify any single one to use but most use 8080,8000,81 or 88. If you are on cox then any of those above should work.
nob4uask

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug '10 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith, thanx once again.

I'm over here currently in Australia although I had cox in Vegas. After reading your post I did a quick search and found that Optus blocks 80, the mail port, possibly 21, 25 & others.

I think it is about time for me to change companies anyway..lol

I will be testing that when everyone starts waking up this morning and will let you know.

Update.... Just changed the httpd.conf file to ports 81,8000 & 8080 along with adding those ports to MaCafee along with stopping and restarting Apache Service. Now I can't even get to the website using http://localhost.
glsmith

PostPosted: Sat 21 Aug '10 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

by default browsers run on port 80

http://localhost:8000 or whatever you chose to use
that's the bummer not having 80 open.
nob4uask

PostPosted: Sat 21 Aug '10 6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith... You are the man.

Just had my buddie check it from his Iphone and it worked great.

I have a long ways to go, but none of it would of mattered if it couldn't be viewed in the outside world.

Thank you for your patience.

Reply to topic   Topic: Configuring issues.... Newbie and getting old-n-slow View previous topic :: View next topic