logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: 403 forbidden access
Author
rrossi

PostPosted: Thu 10 Dec '09 19:29    Post subject: 403 forbidden access Reply with quote

I would greatly appreciate assistance.

We have only one server running windows 2008 server, and exchange 2010 server, and apache.

IIS is port 80

Apache is port 8080

When we type in the URL www.mydomain.com, IIS does not transer it to port 8080 (Where Apache is configured to listen to), and you get the following error "403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.".

if you type in the browser www.mydomain.com:8080, everything works.

What needs to be configured to allow incoming HTTP to be forwarded to port 8080?

Any guidance or links to solve this would help.

Thanks in advance
Brian

PostPosted: Fri 11 Dec '09 19:58    Post subject: Reverse Proxy Server Reply with quote

You can do this one of three ways.

First:
With a router you can simply port forward. Inbound port 80 translates to the IP and port of the server you want. Of course not all routers can do this, you need to be sure yours can.

Second:
Another option is to configure IIs to act as a Reverse Proxy. I have never done this but it seems to me you need to first create a vhost in IIs, then you need to set up a mod_proxy style config. I found this link which may be helpful, I don't know:

http://bytes.com/topic/asp-classic/answers/54493-iis-reverse-proxy-scipt-like-mod_proxy

Third (perhaps best option):
Something else you can do, perhaps the easiest if it is even possible is to have IIs listen on 8080 and have Apache listen on 80. If you have websites on IIs as well use Apache module mod_proxyy. This way Apache acts as your front end server and your reverse proxy allowing you to have as many websites behind it as you want and any port you want.

I have used mod_proxy for years, love it!!!

Oh and the 403 is because there is nothing there, IIs defaults to this rather than a 404 maybe?

Reply to topic   Topic: 403 forbidden access View previous topic :: View next topic