logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache won't host multiple websites.
Author
sharpnova

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 4:42    Post subject: Apache won't host multiple websites. Reply with quote

I run a simple (Xampp) webserver. I host three websites.

Recently, my computer was under maintenance for a couple weeks. When I started my computer back up, my IP had changed.

I went to Godaddy (my DNS) and updated the IP for all three websites.

Now one website works fine but the other two don't.

Nothing else about my configuration changed other than my IP.

I uninstalled and reinstalled XAMPP and still the same problem. Only one website is working. The other two don't host at all.
sharpnova

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 5:10    Post subject: small update Reply with quote

Update:

i pinged both of the non-working sites and the ip is NOT resolving to my server, even though i updated it in godaddy.

is anyone here familiar with godaddy and how to fix this issue? they probably switched it to bad nameservers or something. which should i use?
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNS changes can take time to propagate across the net.
How long have you been waiting?
Care to posts URLs?
sharpnova

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 5:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been waiting about 3 days (usually is instant to a few hours max)

working site: www.sharpnova.com
non-working sites: www.jesterclub.org, www.studio-bella.com
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days is plenty long .. TTL is the key to how long it will take.

Looks like one is currently pointing to a DSL line in your area.
The other is not off by far.

Try changing them again, and I mean to something bogus then wait 5 minutes and back to that it should be. If you are making changes, and they are not making it to the DNS server, godaddy needs to be notified.

Scream at godaddy, or move your DNS off their system. Plenty of free DNS services out there that are good .. I can name a few .. and will if you wish.
sharpnova

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you please list some of those free ones? That would be great.

I tried changing the IP's to something random then back to the correct one and it didn't fix anything.

Also (I'm not sure if this was worth anything) I experimented by changing the Nameservers on the non-working domain to the Nameservers the working domain is using (NS19.DOMAINCONTROL.COM) from (NS53.DOMAINCONTROL.COM)

I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or have any chance of fixing it, but my problem persists.

I also called them and they couldn't figure out what the problem is. The tech guy I talked to didn't even know what a sub-domain was though so I'm not entirely certain I've established what I'd call 'closure' with Godaddy's tech support. They might still be able to help me if I get someone a bit more knowledgeable on the phone. He ended the call telling me I could switch to having them host for me if I wanted reliability etc. Makes me wonder if this is some kind of racket. Probably not. Probably shouldn't even say something like that but it sure reminded me that you mentioned some free and good DNS services :p
glsmith

PostPosted: Mon 23 Nov '09 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

certainly, my top 3

Sitelutions I have been using a couple years now with no problems. I've been very happy with them and since I'm out of free ones with ZE everything new I pick up gets handled here. No Limit that I know of. I have got 6 domains here at this time. http://www.sitelutions.com

Next month I'll be finishing up 9 full years using ZoneEdit (ZE) and my domain thru them has never not answered because of their DNS servers being down, and I can only think of two occations in all those years I was not able to update my IP because their web site was down at the time. First 5 domains are free, unlimited subdomains within those 5. I currently have one last domain here. http://www.zoneedit.com

DNS Exit I've been using 5 or 6 years with two outages that I have noticed. No Limit that I can remember. I've had good & bad experience with the tech people here yet regardless, they've been pretty stable all in all. I currently have three domains here. http://www.dnsexit.com

All three support Dynamic DNS.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache won't host multiple websites. View previous topic :: View next topic