logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Post new topic   Forum Index -> Other Software View previous topic :: View next topic
Reply to topic   Topic: Defrag WAMP on 2003 R2
Author
Brian

PostPosted: Mon 09 Nov '09 22:56    Post subject: Defrag WAMP on 2003 R2 Reply with quote

Perhaps this is a rookie question?

On my 2K3 R2 server the C volume no only boot but also Apache, and SQL - and it is about 70% fragmented and has about 33% space available. This volume has never been defragged.

This is an operation on a shoe string budget so while I am cheap, I will pay for what I must pay for if it is necessary.

That all being said, what do YOU recommend as for best practices and software (preferably free or very low cost) regarding defragging this critical volume?

Thanks.
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov '09 12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a batch script with "Tasks" (don't know if that is correct in the english version means the "cron" job). it runs two times a week to there no so much fragmentation.

Code:

@echo off
title automatic defrag
call defrag C: /f
call defrag E: /f
call defrag F: /f
exit

Notice: It slows the server a bit down since there is so much disc activity.
Brian

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov '09 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have no issues with SQL or any other form of data corruption on a live server?

If I may ask, are you defragging an active server in terms of both traffic and SQL activity? I am concerned about a data corruption...as you can tell.

Thank you for your follow up, it is helpful.
Steffen

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov '09 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good experience with Diskeeper, it is defragging auto and no overhead here. Use it already for years you and no fragmentation anymore.

I use Diskeeper 2009 Pro Premier ,

for more info see http://www.diskeeper.com/Diskeeper/home/premier.aspx

Steffen
Brian

PostPosted: Tue 10 Nov '09 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steffen, this does look like a good solution indeed.

--
Brian
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 11 Nov '09 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
So you have no issues with SQL or any other form of data corruption on a live server?

If I may ask, are you defragging an active server in terms of both traffic and SQL activity? I am concerned about a data corruption...as you can tell.

Yes I run the defragmentation on the live server. I have no issue with apache for mysql. With mysql I can tell you only with MyISAM. I haven't tried that with INNODB.
Only thing was that the server slowed a bit down due the disc activity. So I do it when the usage of the server is on the lowest point.

When you use diskeeper or the windows defrag program first time it may take a long time. I remember when I did that first on the company server which had a different administrator before it took 42 hrs for 400 GB.
Thank god now it takes only 30 minutes to 2 hrs once a week.

Reply to topic   Topic: Defrag WAMP on 2003 R2 View previous topic :: View next topic