logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Port Configuration
Author
kirk

PostPosted: Fri 25 Sep '09 18:17    Post subject: Port Configuration Reply with quote

I have been tasked with figuring out how to install Apache on our web server which currently runs an application called desk now which is an email system that our clients use. This app also runs on its own internal version of apache. I have been able to install Apache and get our website (currently hosted) to run on it on port 80 which required disabling the desk now application. I figured out how to get apache to listen on port 8080 for our website and now both will run on the same server. My problem is that this requires the user to type in www.ourwebsite.com:8080 to get to our website. Can anyone tell me how I can keep my installation of Apache listening on 8080 but not require the user to type in the port number at the end of the URL. Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
myswordnu

PostPosted: Sat 26 Sep '09 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't do that because it is client sided for them to go to your server that is hosted on port 8080 there browser would have to be configured so that every server they go to will use port 8080. When by defualt browsers use port 80 for every server it trys to connect to unless you say otherwise such as adding :8080 at the end. So if you want to make it so they don't have to put the port number at the end then you will have to make it the same as there defualt settings port 80. It might be possible to use a DNS redirection set it up with your IP and port so the url would know that its loading not just that ip defualt port 80 but port 8080, Could work but not to sure
itproxy

PostPosted: Sun 15 Nov '09 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual hosts? http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/
glsmith

PostPosted: Sun 15 Nov '09 1:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Kirk, as myswordnu said you cannot do that directly. There is however a hokey work-around for it using a url forward.

Basically, set the server to answer to www2.yourdomain.com and set a URL forward for
www.yourdomain.com -> www2.yourdomain.com:8080

This example uses zoneedit for the DNS, it can be done at most other DNS providers. If you use your own in-house DNS .. guess it depends then.
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/sbs-webserver-on-a-different-port-number.html

Reply to topic   Topic: Port Configuration View previous topic :: View next topic