logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: IP working but domain names not
Author
rendo86

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul '09 19:20    Post subject: IP working but domain names not Reply with quote

I have come back from a holiday to discover that all three of my websites are down when using the proper domain names.

I can access them through the IP of the server but this obviously is no use for hosting websites.

I cannot see any problems with my conf files, as they would not have changed when i was away.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul '09 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

did your Wan IP change while you were away rendering your domain records incorrect. Mine rarely changes but after 6 hours of my internet being down yesterday, when it came back I had all new Wan IP addresses.
rendo86

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul '09 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my WAN IP had changed but i have already changed it in the conf and vhosts files (the person looking after the house had unplugged the router to plug in the hoover, ha).

Although i have noticed that when in Firefox the error message is saying that the server is taking too long to respond as opposed to web page not found, do you think that this is of any significance? Firewall? router settings? I have had a look at both and cannot see anything that would stop a request getting through and a response sent.
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul '09 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I thought .. but you still fail to mention changing your DNS records therefore I still assume at this time your domain names are pointing to the wrong IP address.

Firefox would give an error message as such;

Quote:
The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I use Dynamic DNS, low TTLs on my domains and Dynamic DNS Client software to monitor my WAN IP and keep everything in line. As long as there is no problem at my provider (as in yesterday's case) or upstream my sites are live again within 10 minutes of an IP change.
rendo86

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul '09 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at the moment, I'm just using forwarding facilities on godaddy to my separate websites using the format of www.mydomain.com/site1 and www.mydomain.com/site2 and just using the url masking facility. I'm pretty sure this just about makes my vhosts redundant.

However as im relativley new to this i haven't got my head around DDNS although i have an account with them, i have a non-static IP, dont know what to tell godaddy when it asks for my domain name servers (2 of them)

This is not my main concern at the moment as i just need to get my sites up and running just now and will change the setup to a more effective one at a later date.

Cheers
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 16 Jul '09 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

well .. need more info to help .. your being vague and that is completely understandable as this is a public forum. However, you can be vague and still sanitize stuff for posting. example, use like www.domain.com and somaname.domain.com, for your domain/hostnames. Use say xxx.xxx.123.8 for your IP.

So in that sense,
www.domain.com -> forwards to -> http://???
somename.domain.com -> forwards to -> http://???

but here is a little something to understand.

VirtualHost are for hostnames set up using DNS, they work on the host header sent by a browser. URL forwards typically forward to an IP address regardless of the URL being called by the browser so the host header simply has the IP address in the place of a hostname. Hence, Apache cannot distinguish them. So VHosts do not work with URL forwarding, nothing is needed but the main host in httpd.conf

Reply to topic   Topic: IP working but domain names not View previous topic :: View next topic