logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot write to the prototype revision file...
Author
SonOfDenny

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun '09 19:44    Post subject: Cannot write to the prototype revision file... Reply with quote

Hello!
I looked through the site in hopes that this has already been answered, but I can't seem to find anything.

I am trying to sync our code repository to a DR site, however the sync keeps failing on the same revision with the following error:
    Transmitting file data ................svnsync: Cannot write to the prototype revision file of transaction '696-jd' because a previous representation is currently being written by this process

The few small tidbits of information I have been able to find with my google-fu has not turned up much. A few things regarding authentication and restarting Apache to resolve this issue. Nothing works.

Has anyone else experienced this issue before? I have synced to another site before without an issue so I don't believe it is my configuration. Perhaps network?
James Blond

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jun '09 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your repository has a stuck transaction. You can use the svnadmin command to repair it. Like all the other svn utilities, svnadmin takes a command followed by options (usually just the repository directory). svnadmin has to be run on the server with the repository.

Do something like this:
Code:

svnadmin lstxns /path/to/repository

to get a list of transactions in process (you should see your offending 696-jd there). You can then decide how best to recover from this error... svnadmin also has a command rmtxns to delete the offending transaction. For more information, issue:

Code:

svnadmin help

or see the tigris website: http://subversion.tigris.org/. You can also get more detailed help on specific commands by following the help command with the name of the command you're interested in. For example:
Code:

svnadmin help lstxns

Obviously you will need shell access to the repository server and write permissions on the repository to use svnadmin. If you're repository format is Berkely DB you should suspend your svnserve daemon (if you use it) and any web_dav/web_svn access to ensure you don't corrupt the database while issuing svnadmin commands.
SonOfDenny

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jun '09 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was able to take care of the stuck transactions, but I am still getting the dropped transfers. I suspect it is due to a network error between my location and the off site location. If I find anymore relevant details I'll post back here for future reference.

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot write to the prototype revision file... View previous topic :: View next topic