logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Can Only Access Apache via Local Machine
Author
superdog

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan '09 0:09    Post subject: Can Only Access Apache via Local Machine Reply with quote

Hi,

Just for background, the machine in question is Vista 64 bit, and I have just installed 64 bit versions of Apache, MySQL and Perl - all of which appears to have been successful.

However, I cannot access Apache (at local address of 172.10.1.2) from anywhere except the machine it's running on.

I have another box, running XP, (172.10.1.3), from which I am trying to access it, and it simply doesn't find http://172.10.1.2, even though I can ping the other machine just fine. Temporarily I have turned off firewalls on each machine, but made no difference.

httpd.conf is configured to allow access, per below:

# Controls who can get stuff from this server.
#
Order deny,allow
Deny from All
Allow from 172.10.1.2
Allow from 172.10.1.3
Allow from 127.0.0.1

(which is probably overly verbose, but should allow access from each box)

On the Vista machine itself I can access Apache with no problem. In fact I can also access an Apache server on the XP box from the Vista box, just not the other way around.

Shouldn't be anything to edit in /etc/hosts, since I'm only using the IP address to access the server, no host name, etc.

I can't imagine this is related to the fact it's 64-bit, but I really don't have any idea what it could be, having now tested everything I can think of.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Jack
superdog

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan '09 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, additional information:

From the local Vista box itself, I can access the Apache service running on it with either 127.0.0.1 or xxx.com (as defined in /etc/hosts), but CANNOT access it with 172.10.1.2 (ie. the machine IP) ... even though I have defined 172.10.1.2 in /etc/hosts along with 127.0.0.1.

However, like I said before, I CAN access Apache running on the XP box, from the Vista box, on 172.10.1.3.
superdog

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan '09 3:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, figured it out, sort of ...

I changed httpd.conf to read as follows:

#
Order deny,allow
Deny from All
Allow from All

... and that fixed it, although I am still curious about why the original section didn't work, and, as it is, no longer limits access to the two machines I would like it to ...

So, my biggest problem is resolved, but if anyone can tell me what was wrong with the original config' below, then that would still be helpful:

#
Order deny,allow
Deny from All
Allow from 172.10.1.2
Allow from 172.10.1.3
Allow from 127.0.0.1
bentogoa

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan '09 7:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is Listen on ip set to?
superdog

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan '09 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's set to:

hp.pc:80

(where hp.pc is already defined in /etc/hosts against 127.0.0.1)

Reply to topic   Topic: Can Only Access Apache via Local Machine View previous topic :: View next topic