logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Something interfering with Apache localhost file calls
Author
greygrey

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan '09 19:53    Post subject: Something interfering with Apache localhost file calls Reply with quote

Hi.

I'm using apache 2.2.6, php 5.2.5, mysql 5.0.45 on Windows XP home (wamp). I use the Alleycode editor to make code changes when debugging then save to www. It was working fine for months, but, after a hiatus from developing, it isn't responding the same.

When I call a page from localhost through IE (a clear port 80), it brings up an older version of the page, though the source code in www is the correct, updated version. Where is Apache finding the old code? When I do a disk search (a phrase unique to this old code) on all files (including hidden) on the C drive and throughout my wamp files, it finds nothing. The source text files Apache is using titles the files like this: "blablabla[1]". If I call the page again, the source text is titled "blablabla[2]". If I call it a third time, it goes back to "blablabla[1]", as if it's creating generations of this phantom older version of the code. Btw, my document root in Apache conf is c:/wamp/www/. In fact, I haven't made any conf changes to anything in wamp for over a year.

Another issue having to do with IE interfering with calls to localhost pages: Sometimes when I call a page, it brings it up normally. On some pages IE creates a popup asking if I want to connect or work offline. If I click "offline", it seizes. If I click "connect" it tries to bypass apache and go to the internet.

I'd really appreciate some help on this, since I'm overdue to update my website.

(I tried to send a similar post a few minutes ago, but thought it didn't go through. So, sorry if you get this twice.)

Gratefully,
greygrey
James Blond

PostPosted: Wed 07 Jan '09 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there is something wrong with the settings from your IE.
Tested a different browser?
If you try to access a page with your browser. Do you see an entry in your access log file?
greygrey

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan '09 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, James.

I'm new at developing so haven't yet set up with alternative browsers for testing. But, I did check apache access log and I'm getting a ton of 304 "Not Modified" errors for all the jpegs within the pages I'm trying to access. Otherwise, the html and php pages seem to be accessing with success, according to the log.

Does that give any clue to what might be wrong here?

Thank you for responding so quickly, btw.

greygrey
bentogoa

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan '09 9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I click "offline", it seizes. If I click "connect" it tries to bypass apache and go to the internet.

check if you are using a proxy server

if using proxy server

Go to open IE
Tools > Internet options > connections > Lan Settings > Tick "bypass proxy server for local address"

If not using proxy server

add this to host file

127.0.0.1 localhost

you can find the host file in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

if you cant see the file
Go to
Start > Run > type
ATTRIB c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts -R -H -S
greygrey

PostPosted: Thu 08 Jan '09 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, b.

No proxy server, but viewing the host file ("127.0.0.1 localhost" was already indicated), I think I may have found the problem. I have been using "localhost" instead of its IP in the http path to call my pages. When I substituted the IP, it seemed to work (the source code for the page was the updated version and no IE prompt).

Hope you have a good day. Mine will certainly be better thanks to both you and James.

greygrey

Reply to topic   Topic: Something interfering with Apache localhost file calls View previous topic :: View next topic