logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache not answering a web hop call
Author
zzroger

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec '08 15:59    Post subject: Apache not answering a web hop call Reply with quote

G'day all,
Win XP sp2 on dedicated Apache box. No communications software. Using, Windows Firewall and avast anti-virus.
Apache 2.2

This is my beginning for serving and for me it's complicated.
I have my own domain registered and am trying to serve it on the 'net.

I suspect that my ISP blocks port 80, I'm awaiting confirmation, in the meantime am using a web hop fix via EveryDNS, I have my registered domain (soilforlife.org) pointing to web hop www2.soilforlife.org calling on port 81.
I can see this works. If I use my browser to call http://soilforlife.org the address bar changes to the www2 site and shows port 81.
So far so good.
Apache is set up to serve www2.soilforlife.org (servername) and listens to port 81.
I have a Cisco 803 router and have allowed port 81 to be forwarded to the web host machine.
Firewall off, avast anti-virus off.
I enter my domain name and call it via my browser on another machine I get the following message from my browser 'Network Timeout
The server at www2.soilforlife.org is taking too long to respond.
The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.'
If I call using my IP in the address bar I get 'Failed to Connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 144.139.123.72:81.
Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a connection'.

My IP is dynamic and I'm using EveryDNS's software to update my IP. (it usually remains static for weeks at a time though as I have had to restart the router a couple of times it has changed recently).

The error log did say I had a fault with a file not exist (favicon.ico), I didn't attempt to reconfigure Apache to it, I just found that file and pasted into the folder that Apache reported it couldn't find it in.

The access log does have some entries in it, it shows the local ip of the networked machine I used to browse my site, the time and date followed by '"get /favican.ico http/1.1" 404 209 or in another entry 200 1078.
I can access the website from another network machine direct by local IP and also using the host machine with 127.0.0.1.
I have written a whole lot here, I am trying to include all of the variables that may cause my web site to fail.
I'd appreciate some suggestions.
glsmith

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec '08 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cisco may (i'm not sure, never used one) not support loopback. I can see your site from here so it is public and being viewed from around the world.

http://www2.soilforlife.org:81/ wrote:

It works!

It works! it does

In this event you may simply have to use hosts files on the other machine. All I can do is reassure it is viewable outside, hopefully others can help you view from the inside.
zzroger

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec '08 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you for that. I am totally reassured now. The Cisco is a pig to configure and frankly I don't really understand how, I just follow directions on the web. However, the loopback isn't a real problem, I can work around it now I know I am broadcasting. Thanks for the info.
zzroger

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec '08 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again glsmith. I have used VPN to access the site from outside (why didn't I think of that before?).
One last thing, the www.soilforlife.org site. It seems to hang and in the access log I see that the entries for soilforlife.org says 'GET / HTTP/1.1' and gives a result, whereas the entry for a www.soilforlife call shows 'GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.1' and stalls. It appears that the call for favicon causes the www. site to stall. Where do I find the config entry that controls what is called so I can change that entry and get rid of the favicon call.
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec '08 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember that www.soilforlife.org is different than simply soilforlife.org.

soilforlife.org -> 64.158.219.5 -> webhop.everydns.net .. OK

www2.soilforlife.org -> 144.139.xxx.xx -> sxpp-blabla.prem.tmns.net.au = You

www.soilforlife.org -> 64.195.235.119 -> x4.quikhost.net = old server maybe?

Should it be going to webhop as well? It isn't so have you set that up at everydns?

Last edited by glsmith on Thu 04 Dec '08 5:38; edited 1 time in total
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec '08 5:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

favicon.ico should 404 if not there .. it's an IE trait to always ask for it. It should however want it from www2. not www. since that is what is in the address bar of the browser.
Firefox or the Mozilla predecessor used to ask for some weird file I cannot remember now. It pollutes the error log that is for sure.

So that leaves you 3 options;

1. Ignore the pollution
2. Give the stupid IE an icon
3. Ignore the error with SetEnvIf

The easiest is to just have the icon file there (shows next to the bookmark for the site in IE)

Last edited by glsmith on Thu 04 Dec '08 8:22; edited 1 time in total
zzroger

PostPosted: Thu 04 Dec '08 5:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmmmmm.......I did set the web hop for the www site. Maybe I fouled it up, I was very confused with the instructions given so that would be easy...lol
At least now I know it works I can proceed.

I had assumed that the entry in the access log was for a call to www, wrongly if the DNS isn't pointing to the right spot.

Again, many thanks.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache not answering a web hop call View previous topic :: View next topic