logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Multiple hosts without Name-based Virtual Host Support
Author
Sam Hobbs

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug '24 2:39    Post subject: Multiple hosts without Name-based Virtual Host Support Reply with quote

I am using Windows 11. I need to install WordPress locally for education and website development. I have installed XAMPP. I am using IIS and Kestrel already with the following addresses:

* localhost for the default IIS website
    * localhost:5222 for a site served by Kestrel
    * localhost:82 for another personal-use site

Except I do not need SSL for any of those therefore I have not attempted to get SSL working for them.

I am hoping to use the following with Apache:

* localhost:87 for the website that XAMPP created
    * localhost:88 for WordPress
    * localhost:89 for a small site for whatever, it is not important

I do not know the correct terminology to describe those addresses. As best as I understand, it is not Name-based Virtual Host Support. Is there a problem using ports in that manner for hosts? I am confused because the Name-based Virtual Host Support documentation page says the following about IP-based virtual hosts:
Quote:
Therefore you need to have a separate IP address for each host.

I am using a single IP address and multiple ports therefore I am not sure what part of the documentation is relevant.

The problem I am having is how to support SSL, at least for WordPress. I assume that WordPress requires SSL even for a local site.
Stray78

PostPosted: Mon 02 Sep '24 6:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be fine with ports...

Code:
<VirtualHost *:87>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:88>
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:89>
</VirtualHost>

Reply to topic   Topic: Multiple hosts without Name-based Virtual Host Support View previous topic :: View next topic