logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Site And/Or Apache Blasted HTML Injection
Author
ArtM

PostPosted: Mon 18 Nov '13 4:40    Post subject: Site And/Or Apache Blasted HTML Injection Reply with quote

I have a simple plain non commercial webcam site running - at home - for years. Myself & number of locals - and some former locals - use it for local/family specific info. Runs Apache/2.2.0 (Win32) PHP/5.1.2. Mysql & tiny bit PHP used. Mod_security Jan 2006. Also runs Trend Rubotted.

Woke up day after Rememberance Day (!) to find site down & Rubotted showing HTML_COMMAND_INJECTION_REQUEST Error & PARTIALLY fixed. Poking around looks like HTTPD.EXE deleted !

Googling a little bit looks like I may have been a victim of DARKLEECH. I think. I'm not a professional webmaster type. Just an old programmer trying to get some local & family benefit out of an old PC ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 running an AMD K6 @ 450MHz (!) Win XP.

1. Any suggestions for cleaning up/out existing site(s) & site html ? Really needed - or has attempt failed ?

2. Once cleaned, I can reset it up with later versions. Only takes time - being a senior - I'm running a little short of; and really don't need the aggravation. Am considering whether the time input to keep ahead of the Internet Criminals is worth my time.

3. Any suggestions for setup &/or 'Hardening' the site to give me some peace away from constant maintenance to stay ahead of the darker elements in our midst - for a little while longer ?

Thoughts ?
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 21 Nov '13 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you upgrade apache and mod security to the last version and also look in the mod security rules if there is something against that intruder.
Apache 2.2.ZERO is pretty old!
ArtM

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov '13 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you upgrade apache and mod security to the last version and also look in the mod security rules if there is something against that intruder.
Apache 2.2.ZERO is pretty old!

You are right. Have to upgrade. But to where ? I note latest download proviso ..
Quote:
A VC11 binary loads VC11, VC10 and VC9 modules, and does not run on XP and 2003.

So given my older XP-P-SP3, can you suggest the correct versions of Apache, VCxx, /System/MSVCRxx.dll, PHP, Mysql ?

PS - Even then, does the vanilla-non-commercial Mod_Security configuration foil Injection errors ??
James Blond

PostPosted: Tue 26 Nov '13 19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a download page for VC10 Win32 with 2.2.26.
The non commercial mod security can block all injections! Important are the rules that you use.
ArtM

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov '13 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note you suggest VC10 Win32 Apache 2.2.26

1. If going thru the effort for 2.2.26, Is there a reason not to go with a newer vsn like 2.4 ? Perhaps it will not run on XP ??

2. Can I JUST update Mod_Security and/or rules while running 2.2.0 ?

3. Is & where might one find more / better rules than the Mod_Security defaults - keeping in mind my home server budget = -zero- !?
ArtM

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov '13 5:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArtM wrote:
1. If going thru the effort for 2.2.26, Is there a reason not to go with a newer vsn like 2.4 ? Perhaps it will not run on XP ??

OK - Found it, From the Readme for 2.4.6
Quote:
Minimum system required
-----------------------

Windows 7 SP1
Windows 8 / 8.1
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
Windows Server 2012 / R2
Windows Vista SP2

No Win XP !
mesa57

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov '13 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VC9 version will run under XP.
Steffen

PostPosted: Wed 27 Nov '13 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the VC10 version runs XP, only VC11 does not.
ArtM

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov '13 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffen wrote:
Also the VC10 version runs XP, only VC11 does not.

Hmmm... OK Thnx Mesa & Steffen.. will have to backtrack & work on setting up 2.4.7 VC10 on XP now ...
Any problems adding Mod_Security, PHP, MySQL to this version, pls advise . . .
James Blond

PostPosted: Thu 28 Nov '13 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are no known problems. What is your actual question?
ArtM

PostPosted: Fri 29 Nov '13 3:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

No specific question . . . . yet

Reply to topic   Topic: Site And/Or Apache Blasted HTML Injection View previous topic :: View next topic