logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot connect to server externally on Windows
Author
chrisj.leaf

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul '11 18:53    Post subject: Cannot connect to server externally on Windows Reply with quote

I am using Apache2 on Windows XP and am trying to host a website (and eventually a java based server) on my computer to be hosted for external access outside my network.

My situation:
-I am trying to run Apache on Windows XP
-I have Apache2 configured in a sort of haphazard way because I've just been trying to get it to listen to requests to connect, no success
-I can connect just fine using my local IP address which I made Locally Static, and configured into the Apache configuration file.
-I set up a dynamic DNS with automatic updater which I believe works because when I try to access it from a local computer it takes me to my router's configuration page (obviously not my goal)
-I have tried using various proxy providers to attempt to connect to my site "externally" and I even had a friend try at one point and it also failed, although I've made changes since then. I've received errors such as "libcurl connect() failed" and request timeouts or "rejected by host" so I feel like it must be my Apache Configuration
-Although I've tried many options the log only shows me making local connections, I do not know if this indicates if I'm failing to get to the apache server or not.
-I believe my port forwarding to be working. I have verizon internet and used default settings for HTTP connections which is to forward ports on my static local ip address with tcp protocols on various ports (80, 43, 8008, 8080).

I mostly have default configuration files for Apache except these sections which I modified:

Code:

#Listen 192.168.1.50:80 #I tried this, my static local IP address
Listen 80
<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName http://cleaf.cmu.jumpingcrab.com
   DocumentRoot C:/ApacheFiles/default.com
</VirtualHost>

#ServerName cleaf.cmu.jumpingcrab.com:80 #tried this too
ServerName 192.168.1.50:80

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
</Directory>

<Directory c:/ApacheFiles/default.com> #my website is here

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride None

Order Deny,Allow
    Allow from all

</Directory>

<IfModule dir_module>
    DirectoryIndex default.html #I made a default html
</IfModule>

I believe that is all the relevant settings that I changed. I feel like I am missing something extremely basic here. I did not make any other changes to Apache aside from those. Although the installation domain I think I changed a few times (I got a message one of them was expired at one point)

Can anyone give me a few pointers or tests I can do to help figure out what I'm doing wrong?
Sob

PostPosted: Sun 17 Jul '11 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can connect just fine using my local IP address ...

Also from other local computer? Or did you just try it from the same computer that Apache is running on? In second case it might be missing firewall exception.

Quote:
I believe my port forwarding to be working.

It's easy to verify. Just run some packet sniffer on computer with Apache, try external connect to your web server using proxy and see if there are any incoming packets for port 80.
chrisj.leaf

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jul '11 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I can't believe I completely forgot to add a firewall exception for the port >.<!! You really saved me!

Reply to topic   Topic: Cannot connect to server externally on Windows View previous topic :: View next topic