logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Apache is freezing
Author
Qmpeltaty

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep '10 10:41    Post subject: Apache is freezing Reply with quote

Hello

Yestarday my site became unavailable couse of apache freez. I've log in via rdp immediately on server where apache is running(win2k3) and machine seems to be slow as turtle. Checked task manager and processors usage was 1%, memory usage 15% ( it goes to 30% processors and 25% memory on heavy load ).
Then i've decided to restart apache from command line "httpd -k restart" but it didn't help even if i didn't get any error messages during restart. Windows restart was my next step and after it has been complished my site became available.
I've made a reasearch what has happend looking in apache logs and system logs.

Apache restart error :

Code:

[Thu Sep 02 09:42:36 2010] [error] (OS 5)Access is denied.  : Cannot create SSLSessionCache DBM file `/apache_log/ssl_log/ssl-scache.log'
[Thu Sep 02 09:42:36 2010] [error] (OS 5)Access is denied.  : Cannot create SSLSessionCache DBM file `/apache_log/ssl_log/ssl-scache.log'

System log :

Code:
Faulting application httpd.exe, version 2.2.14.0, faulting module ssleay32.dll, version 0.9.8.12, fault address 0x0000da4b.

No hardware issues in hardware log.

I thought that it was some one-time error but today i got same issue again ! My response was almoust the same but i didn't restart windows - just killed all httpd.exe processes and start apache again. After this site goes online back.

Apache configuration hasn't been change for a long time (only ssl updates). The only thing i have changed in apache configuration recently is mod_geoip .dat file http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=3588 (requested update from maxmind.com).

Apache/2.2.14 (Win32) PHP/5.2.12 mod_ssl/2.2.14 OpenSSL/0.9.8o mod_jk/1.2.25
glsmith

PostPosted: Thu 02 Sep '10 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a tough one.

ssleay32.dll, version 0.9.8.12 = 0.9.8L, not 0.9.8o. Since you state 0.9.8o I was thinking possibly conflicting version on the machine, but it's been my experience that Apache will not start so that pretty rules out my first thought. I also have no clue where you would of picked up a 0.9.8o update for Apache 2.2.14.

Secondly, looking back at the mod_geoip thread you linked, you were at the time running a apache.org realease(vc6). 2.2.14 from Apache.org came with 0.9.8k, I do not remember them putting out a OpenSSL update. Where did 0.9.8L come from?

Have you though about going to 2.2.16/098o php/5.2.14?
Qmpeltaty

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep '10 10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

glsmith wrote:
This is a tough one.

ssleay32.dll, version 0.9.8.12 = 0.9.8L, not 0.9.8o. Since you state 0.9.8o I was thinking possibly conflicting version on the machine, but it's been my experience that Apache will not start so that pretty rules out my first thought. I also have no clue where you would of picked up a 0.9.8o update for Apache 2.2.14.

Secondly, looking back at the mod_geoip thread you linked, you were at the time running a apache.org realease(vc6). 2.2.14 from Apache.org came with 0.9.8k, I do not remember them putting out a OpenSSL update. Where did 0.9.8L come from?

http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

I'm using those releases as openssl update for a long time as apache installation with new ssl shows up only if new apache version is coming - it's almoust always more than month later than ssl update. I had no problem with those releases in the past.

Security is very important on my site that's why i always update ssl when new version shows up - don't want to wait for apache.org to bundle new openssl with new apache version (i'm just updating openssl on my server and copying ssleay32.dll and libeay32.dll to apache/bin directory from new openssl update). What you think about it - is it correct ?

glsmith wrote:
Have you though about going to 2.2.16/098o php/5.2.14?

Yes, that would be my next step if i had no other tips/solutions.
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 03 Sep '10 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best. Everything would be current and everything would be built vc6. That those openssl builds look to be VC9 (VisualC++ 2008), the mix can cause stability issues or simply not work at all.

Reply to topic   Topic: Apache is freezing View previous topic :: View next topic