logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: Script Access to UNC Drive
Author
ccx138

PostPosted: Wed 18 Nov '09 17:21    Post subject: Script Access to UNC Drive Reply with quote

I am trying to get Apache and php to work so that the site is hosted on a local drive but a data directory used by the php application (Moodle) is located on a net work drive. The location of the network drive is located in config.php file so Apache knows nothing about the location. I keep getting a file does not exist error in the log.
The error is the same as I would expect to see if the user/group in httpd.conf did not have read/write access to the file.

The server is a Windows server and Apache is being run as a domain user who is in the Windows Administrator group and also has read/write access to the network file.

I have tried specifying the remote file as:
\\server\dir1\dir2
//server/dir1/dir2
I have tried mapping the remote directory as a drive letter
All with the same error

I have ruled out php having any effect on this as IIS and php can access the network drive correctly. IIS has the domain user as the application pool user.

If this was a *nix system I would point at the User/Group directive was set to a user that did have access to the remote file. Is it possible to tell Apache to run as a domain user.
e.g.
User me@myhost.com
or
User myhost\me
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov '09 6:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apache is by design a unix app. It has been ported to ther OSs over time. Not everything that can be done in unix can be done in Windows.

I'm Server 2k/0/3/8 dumb. James may be better able to answer this.

Would it be possible to run Apache as a plain Windows user that has permissions to said network drive/share outside the domain?

As such, it should then work. I do this to jail Apache to certain places on the hard drives, but I'm running XP. Apache can however then grab anything off any network share I require and allow it's group or user access to.
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 20 Nov '09 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have no Actice Directory at home. So I run for this test apache service as an local administrator.
The network share permission were set to read / write to everyone.

Code:

Alias /test/ //server3/test_share
<Location /test/>
      Options All
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from all
      Deny from none
 </Location>

Often there is that permission problem cause people (included myself) forget to set the internal permission from apache with the Location block in apache.
For this test I used Windows 2003 standard SP2 all updates. Apache 2.2.14

Hope that helps.

Reply to topic   Topic: Script Access to UNC Drive View previous topic :: View next topic