logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: How to troubleshoot sudden slow performance?
Author
tvn

PostPosted: Wed 21 Jan '09 11:24    Post subject: How to troubleshoot sudden slow performance? Reply with quote

Hi

I have Apache running on two Windows server 2003 machines within a Windows domain supporting about 10 users. One is Apache 2.0.52, the other is 2.2 The 2.0 Apache instance simply redirects to the installation on the 2.2 installation on the other server. In the last few weeks performance has been erratic and sometimes inordinately slow, and I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. The same pages sometimes load without appreciable delay, sometimes it takes 15-20 seconds. Swings in performance happen throughout the day -- one minute it's quick, the next it it's slow again.

I can't see any signs of problems in the Apache logs even after setting them to warning mode, but then I may be missing something I'm not aware I should be looking for. Could anyone give me any pointers?

Further background:
Running PHP 5.2.5 (for the DokuWiki documentation engine)
SSL enabled, self-signed cert
No MySQL or any database processes running
Dynamic pages use plain CGI to access an embedded database (Berkeley DBXML) -- the timings of the database queries show that there's no delay in the code executing queries, just when accessing the site -- the delay seems to be in Apache serving the pages.
Site is hosted and accessed from behind a campus firewall -- no public access.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Tim
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan '09 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

QoS slows Apache down. As Apache does not support the QoS extensions to the WinSock API.
If you are running Small Business server it limits the number of connections to the number of your CALs.
Maybe the network itself slows it down.

Reply to topic   Topic: How to troubleshoot sudden slow performance? View previous topic :: View next topic