logo
Apache Lounge
Webmasters

About Forum Index Downloads Search Register Log in RSS X

Keep Server Online

If you find the Apache Lounge, the downloads and overall help useful, please express your satisfaction with a donation.

or

Bitcoin

A donation makes a contribution towards the costs, the time and effort that's going in this site and building.

Thank You! Steffen

Your donations will help to keep this site alive and well, and continuing building binaries. Apache Lounge is not sponsored.
Reply to topic   Topic: files and music on apache
Author
hybridtek

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec '08 18:15    Post subject: files and music on apache Reply with quote

I understand the index.html file is where the site goes to to look at the web page. but how do i link files and music files or background music to play on apache. I know how to link it so it shows files or pics or music from websites already on the internet, but how do I put music from my computer that i'm running apache on the web page? I tried to link it to a music file or picture that is in my documents, is there a certain folder i need to link it to?
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec '08 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well .. My Documents is really
"C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents" on Win 2k & XP

However, on for instance Windows XP, good luck getting apache to read from another users "My Documents" due to the security in XP. What keeps other users out of your documents will keep Apache out as well.
James Blond

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec '08 18:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an Alias is a good idea to share your files.
hybridtek

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec '08 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if i put that file in a shared folder for the whole network to see do you think it would work? or should i put it in the same directory as index.html?
glsmith

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec '08 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

As James says, an alias is a good thing to use, you can put the file in almost any folder on the server. You may be able to tap into your My Documents folder, all depends on how the user was set up in the beginning.

I may have been a little wrong in my first post. Apache running as a service runs under the system account, which has access to almost the entire computer.

Doesn't hurt to try:

Alias /music "C:/Documents and Settings/username/My Documents/My Music"
then "http://www.mysite.tld/music" would be the location of the music files, in theory
hybridtek

PostPosted: Fri 12 Dec '08 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will mess around with this and give it a shot, thanks a ton guys!

Reply to topic   Topic: files and music on apache View previous topic :: View next topic